Gail The Parenting Coach
18 Habits to Help Improve Your Parenting in 2018
Parents love making new year's resolutions. This year I'm asking for you to take a step back and reflect on positive parenting techniques you've learned in the classes. Instead of making New Year’s resolutions where stopping a habit is the focus, try starting a habit that improves your parenting skills. Your children will thank you for it! Enjoy my list of the 18 ways you can improve your parenting in 2018.
1. I am willing to push my pause button and breathe when I am upset.
2. I am willing to remain calm and listen when my child is upset.
3. I am willing to use self-control rather than other control.
4. I am willing to practice the skill of empathy.
5. I am willing to see my child’s big emotions as a need to be heard and understood.
6. I am willing to encourage my child’s efforts.
7. I am willing to see the best in my child.
8. I am willing to listen to understand rather than to be understood.
9. I am willing to validate feelings rather than fix, dismiss, or happy them up.
10. I am willing to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
11. I am willing to deliver consequences with empathy.
12. I am willing to model what kindness, compassion and respect looks like.
13. I am willing to slow down, do one thing at a time, and really listen and connect with my child.
14. I am willing to spend one-on-one time with each child.
15. I am willing to give choices that empower my child.
16. I am willing to spend time cooking healthy meals.
17. I am willing to ask for what I want and need.
18. I am willing to establish routines.